Monday, November 1, 2010

Disability

I've been recovering from left shoulder surgery which has hampered my ability to type, sign my name, and create new talks to give to educate Alzheimer caregivers. It has been painful in two ways; physically I hurt, but more so my emotional self. To not write is like not having nourishment. I think; I write about it. I want to make a meal but my pain delays my beginning. And watching someone else do it is at times agonizing. I watched my husband make us a meal. He is great at building gorgeous homes but making a meal is not his forte. I had to leave the room and let him do it his way so I wouldn't seem ungrateful for his offering.
I'm wondering how often people with the disability of dementia feel starved for things they love doing. Being able to make your wishes known, asking a question, doing a task which was once easy are all things we take for granted until we can't do them. When I ask people with dementia what helps, they tell me that people who give them time to express themselves, people who ask simple questions instead of complex questions, people who help set up a task so that the visual cues prompt easier completion of that task and a sense of accomplishment. I hope during this time of temporary disabiity I've learned a bit more how to help others who are disabled cognitively.

1 comment:

  1. Beverly,

    I just came upon your blog, and wish you Godspeed! We "met" 2 years ago on the phone when you assisted me with my mother in law. I am in the process of moving my own mother and she is taking a respite starting tomorrow. What a joy to get back in touch with you! You and your book have been assisting me along the road of caregiver for many years now, and I tell everyone of you. You were the first person I spoke with who "Gets it" thru all the drama I have, and continue to endure. Talk about writing the next best seller, mine reads like a lifetime movie!

    Don't think for a moment that you have not touched someones life, as I spend my best days with people that have memory decline, and find them a breathe of fresh air compared to the rude people I encounter in the so called "Real World" I see it as a blessing to be able to "forget" for many people that don't live by the Golden rule and certainly don't treat people with it.

    I'm sure by now I have rung a bell????

    ReplyDelete