Monday, March 11, 2013

Zeisel's ideas

I watched this PBS airing of John Zeisel's talk on his views of Alzheimer's patients abilities. It seemed a bit optimistic to me, but some other views paint quite a pessimistic view of their abilities. I'm talking with my friend and colleague Lynn Serper tomorrow to get her view. She has a methodology she uses with persons with cognitive disorders and claims to 'hold up' the progression of the disease for months to years. Her method is called The Serper Method. Now her middle name is Lazarus and she has earned the right to that name. Google her name or method and read about her story into dementia.
Tomorrow I am also going through a Virtual Dementia Tour (see the video I posted on my blog a few entries ago. Having it described by others who have gone through this tour I wonder what my views on its authentically representing what the person with Alzheimer's experiences. The Tour is designed to give the participant the sights, sounds, feelings (frustration, anger, annoyance) of a person with Alzhiemer's or a related dementia. I will let you know what I feel after this 'tour' into dementia and after talking with Lynn. My interest is in running a support group for diagnosed early stage dementia people, but I need to know how to do this the best way. I'll write more; stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment