Monday, December 27, 2010

January's column

It is still blowing snow here in Boston and I've got to get to work on my column for January 2011. I'm calling it New Beginnings. I'll expand on the idea of looking at Alzheimer's progression as new beginnings rather than losses. We all experience losing abilities or opportunities throughout life; why look at the ones of Alzheimer's as catastrophic? Life is a learning experience; so is Alzheimer's. Noting changes in a family member should trigger the need to learn something new to help that person remain in charge of their life. I've met families who meet each new 'beginning' with courage and determination to normalize their family life to the extent possible. Although this disease is wrought with emotion, caregivers can turn it into a life journey. Life is full of hope and humor, which Bob Stern MD at BUAD Research Center says caregivers need (both) to thrive through Alzheimer's. People have accused me of being too positive about this caregiving thing. One blog reader was angry with me for this. Well, so be it. I found in being a caregiver for both my inlaws that I developed a heart for caregiving them. Finding humor in the often ridiculous happenings in a day of caregiving is essential. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment