Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sound Advice

May is National Good Hearing Month. I had to get 2 hearing aids last year after I discovered a 50% hearing loss. I was feeling isolated in conversation, unable to hear the exercise instructor at the gym I go to daily, uncomfortable at family functions when everyone laughed at some silly joke a grandchild said, and not hearing invitations to other events at times. I was the one who noticed and I got help.
What happens to the person with a cognitive disorder who already feels left out, somewhat confused in conversation, and missing the point of an invitation or a story? We must do everything to enhance life for the person with memory loss. Adding a hearing deficit to an already compromised existence is preventable. Don't just ignore signs of hearing loss in yourself through pride, and don't ignore them in your family member with dementia. Signs can include isolation, suspiciousness, missing the understanding of conversation or answering inappropriately, as well as withdrawing, depression and seeming confusion. Hearing corrected can make the difference between feeling left out of family life and feeling like a worthy member who is valued.

1 comment:

  1. you're not alone dude,
    I also have 50% hearing loss 2

    plus get used 2 this though XD the bettter U get, the more you gain!

    ReplyDelete