Thursday, December 20, 2012

Trauma Informed Care

For the last year and some months I've been teaching hospital mental health carers in crisis prevention intervention. Noting that many people with mental health issues are also survivors of trauma throughout life, I studied trauma informed care. I recently in August trained to teach crisis prevention with a strong focus on trauma informed care. The results of a lifetime of trauma or a single trauma event, whether that be living in a scary neighborhood, fighting a long illness, disfigurement, abuse or neglect, rape, incest, or even a diagnosis of Alzheimer's dementia, will change brain chemistry and alter how we react to life. In other words, trauma colors the way a person sees the world. It is usually seen as unsafe, untrustworthy. As I study more (I'm reading a book entitled Scared Sick) I will share what I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment