Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Born Caregiver?

Are there born caregivers do you think? There are people who seem to just come forth to help, to care when they see the need. Most mothers are like this, never ceasing being a mother to her children even if they are 40 or 50 years old!
I won't be posting for a week, for example because I'll be in Michigan with my 44 year old son having surgery to repair damage to his neck during a rollover accident last June. Does he need me there? I'm not sure, but I know I need to be there to support, comfort and be a present familiar face.
I honor Alzheimer caregivers who did not volunteer for the job of caring, but found themselves elected either by the majority (usually siblings) or by default. Most seem to be willing to learn how to care well and listen to the instruction a coach gives them. That is why I wrote my book Matters of the Mind...and the Heart and why I continue to do this work. I've got 5 empathic knowledgable women who continue to help caregivers understand and manage this disease. I see that they are natural caregivers for their own family as well. I guess there are born caregivers. Thank God for them.
I'll be writing again after February 4th. Until then care well.

No comments:

Post a Comment