Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Matter of her mind...and my Heart

I have to get busy and write that second edition to my book Matters of the Mind...and the Heart. I was heartened to hear an attendee at one of my talks that my book was like her Bible; she continually referred to it. That sure makes writing it worth my effort.
This week I'm having repair shoulder surgery and won't be able to write for a while. I love writing; about Alzheimer's, about my journey through Alzheimer's, and commenting on other writers and presenters. Last Thursday I heard David Troxel who, along with Virginia Bell, wrote The Best Friends Approach to Alzheimer's. His talk was so encouraging; that caregivers are catching on to treating the person with dementia with dignity. All one has to do to figure out what that means is to examine what makes you feel valued as a person of worth. He talked about elements of KNACK, which is approaching care of the person with an attitude of good will. Some elements of Knack are: being well informed, having empathy, respecting the basic rights of the person, using common sense, communicating skillfully, being optimistic, using humor, developing flexibility, patience, connecting with the spiritual, and something good for everyone, valuing the moment. You've met people with Knack; maybe you are one. I taught homecare aides in the 1990s and there were about 5 of these women who had Knack; a natural love of their clients and a desire to make life better for them. I hope when I need a caregiver, I'll have one with Knack. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment