Monday, April 27, 2009

Gifts of Alzheimer's

True, Alzheimer's disease is a hard disease to handle and sadness is all part of the journey. Having been caregiver myself to 2 family members, I've experienced the angst and the joy of being allowed to share in that journey. I also am writing a book (my second) about my caregiving experience with my mother in law. I am calling it Confessions of an Alzheimer Coach for lack of a better title. It has been a 14 year learning experience with all of the mistakes we made along the way. I too think the book will help others to see that, even when one is a professional in the Alzheimer field, we make mistakes when the patient is our family.
I hope your book is more hopeful than you describe. People caring for a family member with Alzheimer's need hope. Not everyone will experience the experience like you or me. I fear setting them up to expect it to be a harrowing experience would be unkind. The caregiver needs education about the disease, how it manifests itself, and how to relate to the person now with the disease. I'd encourage you to purchase my book at my website. I'd like your comments on that. I wish you a lighter heart and a hope...there are blessings in it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment