Saturday, April 18, 2009

The gifts of Alzheimer's

The following is a story from a special caregiver:
My husband, Vid and I left the neurologist's office in disbelief. Probable Alzheimer's was the diagnosis. My response...DENIAL! "I'm not ready to hear that." It was so difficult for me to say, "My husband has Alzheimer's." A diagnosis of depression, stroke, vascular dementia; anything but Alzheimer's was more acceptable.
Anger took over. I was furious with Vid. How could he have this terrible disease? What am I to do? I am not ready to be his caregiver.
I would cry everyday on my way to work. Dropping Vid at daycare was especially painful. He did not want to go. It was an emotional struggle for both of us. I had to be the 'bad guy' who coaxed him out of the car and into the day program. Due to Alzheimer's, his safety and daily structure were important as well as my piece of mind.
After years of fighting against the disease that has taken over our lives, I have found peace and so many rewards in my caregiving journey. Have I been alone on my journey? Absolutely not. There are so many wonderful people who have supported Vid and me; family, friends, professionals, support group leaders among them.
My nine year journey living with the knowledge that Alzheimer's has taken away the future that Vid and I had hoped for has brought me to a new and unexpected place of living in the moment. The inner peace I feel today sharing our precious time together, and the unconditional love I feel for my husband of forty-seven years are my rewards. I have been able to identify my purpose and make some sense out of my today.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings

    Very interesting title "The Gift's of Alzheimer's".

    That story obviously touched on the lighter aspects of the full time caregiver, and I'm glad they have found peace and purpose through their ordeal.

    I have been/still am my mom's caregiver going on 7 years now, and am gathering original content in preparation for launching a blog focused on the darker, more sinister side of this wicked disease.

    It will be a no holds barred account of my struggles being a caregiver, beaten down and crushed by severe depression related to my dear mothers downward spiral.

    I feel this may help caregivers prepare and fortify themselves mentally for the assault their own well being may be confronted with as their loved one's condition slowly, inevetibly worsens.

    I guess the few and far between "good days" I am allowed to spend with my mom would be my "gift of Alzheimer's".

    Take care and keep up the good work.

    B

    ReplyDelete