Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I am back! Thanks for noticing I was gone.

I appreciated the person who emailed me asking if I were still coaching families as I hadn't been blogging. I do get lazy when I am helping several families. I often think "Haven't I said it all?" But as you can see from the videos and the articles from the Alzheimer Weekly that it hasn't all been said. Each family I meet has a unique challenge in care. For one it is offering structure to the person's day as persons with dementia often cannot do that anymore. For another it is poor judgment. I met a man recently who had very good memory both recent and remote, but little ability to reason and very poor judgment. That is a tough combination. The caregiver couldn't use fiblets as he would remember them and know they weren't fact. She couldn't use explanation and reasoning either as he had a hard time following the logic. She appealed to his feelings of being out of control and with practice kept him safe and feeling good in relationship with her. Kudos to hearty invested caregivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment