Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Too much heat

I don't know what the weather is elsewhere, but here in Boston it is staying in the 90s. I took a walk for an hour yesterday (as I promised myself I would do daily about a month or so ago) and thought of the elders sitting in low income apartments without air conditioning, waiting on helpers to show up to clean, make a meal or give a shower. I used to be in homecare services in inner Boston and remember how hot those places were.
Now as an Alzheimer coach I feel for the elder with dementia who has trouble expressing how they are feeling, suffering with the heat and perhaps their caregiver being unaware of the impact of it all on their care recipient. I wrote a column about this recently (this month actually) in the South Shore Senior News. Go to our website www.StilMee.com and click on Resource page. There click on www.SouthShoreSenior.com and read that column called Summer Behaviors and others I've submitted over the last 8 years. The editor, Greg Porell, is always gracious and prints every last one of them. Bless him.

No comments:

Post a Comment