Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Negligent to blog once again...sorry, here it is

Oh boy, how does so much time pass without an entry? I guess it is because I am busy doing many things. My granddaughter on the other hand blogs almost daily. Her blog is called The Blonde Redemption. She is 19. If I ever get Alzheimer's I'd want a lot of time with her. She is witty, loving, kind, and insightful. She is what caregivers of those with alzheimer's need to be. She would never infantilize me, belittle me, or think I could do something I couldn't anymore. Massachusetts has released funding to the Aging Service Access Points for Alzheimer coaching. ASAPs seek to keep elders at home safe longer by offering services to make that a reality. This coaching is a service for the family. It is now determined that one person every 7 seconds is diagnosed with Alzheimer's in the United States. That is incredible. We know families are out there needing education as since the funding became available in April we've had 120 referrals. I think about how they should have been able to access education long ago. I hear comments from families like, "Where were you two years ago! We could have done things differently." How can we reach these people who need information? If you have ideas send them along. Our 7 coaches cover all of Massachusetts. That is a lot of driving! Our coach in Dallas is already getting known for her knowledge and availability. Tonight I am going to a support group I've started at a local hospital for families to ask questions about any kind of mental or cognitive condition and gain support for their efforts. I'll let you know how successful we are. The two illnesses that seem never to get information to the caregivers (families) are mental conditions and cognitive conditions. And those two are the most challenging to be caregiver for as they often cannot communicate their needs adequately. I hope to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment