Saturday, June 19, 2010

3 myths about Alzheimer's

I was on Greg Porell's South Shore Senior News radio this morning on my monthly Alzheimer's spotlight. I always look forward to these; giving out 6 minutes of tidbits about Alzheimer's. John Zeisel PhD of Hearthstone brought up these myths. It is disturbing to think some still believe them to be true. # 1. People with AD cannot learn. Well, ask Lynn Serper of the SerperMethod if that is true. Try to sit in the usual place at the table of the person with AD and see if she doesn't remember it is HER seat and you don't belong there. # 2. People with AD are no longer a person. I met a salesman at a recent event who, when he learned what I did, said, "They aren't really a person anymore, are they?" I nearly lost my cool, but instead did some serious teaching. Engage the person with AD and talk about something that evokes positive memories for him and see his 'person' emerge. # 3. People with AD have no future. Well, I may have a day to live, or a year, or another 3 decades. The person with AD has between 2 and 20 years to live. Is that enough of a future to pay attention to its being a meaningful one. Each day is a treasure to us all. People with and without a progressive disease like Alzheimer's need a purpose to get up in the morning and a sense of well being and value during the day. Caregivers are being taught by StilMee coaches how to bring value and purpose and control back to the person with Alzheimer's. It is a wondrous sight to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment