Sunday, March 29, 2009

Research Opportunities

My husband and I are joining the HOPE study at Boston University AD Research Center to be part of determining what cognitive changes are normal aging and which signal possible dementia. It is both exciting and a bit intimidating to join this study. It means we have a full neurological workup with memory tests, etc.
As a coach, I want to learn what this process is like so I can explain it better to my clients and feel the uncertainty as I engage in the testing. I will be writing more about this experience after 4/3 when we are initially tested. It calls for yearly visits in Boston to re-evaluate. I'll also be writing about it in my column in the South Shore Senior News and the Neponset Valley Senior News.

1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law just had the cognitive evaluation and MRI in Boston, and we are waiting for the results. In the meantime, is there someone who can help my in-laws figure out how to deal with this stage in their lives? We children are trying to help and we are being pushed away. By help, I mean we are trying to initiate discussion about: keeping my MIL in contact with others socially, since she is home alone a lot and is isolated and lonely; thinking about whether moving to an apartment complex, assisted or not, would be better because she could see people more; helping FIL understand she does things not deliberately, but because of her illness, and planning for the future (what will they do when she can no longer cook?)
    Are there professional people who can look at this couple's situation and help them take some steps? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete